Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I HATE! Politicians and the ‘Emphasis Fist’


I guess I understand why they do it. You know what I’m talking about – the ‘emphasis fist’. Bill Clinton was a pro at it (and don't get me wrong, I loooooooove Bill, it's just the fist that I don't like). It’s the way a politician kind of balls up his hand as he is trying to emphasize a specific point in a speech. You ball up your fist and strike the air with it as if to say ‘This is where I’m really going to hit this home.’ It’s similar to the hand motion that Donald Trump makes when he’s firing someone on The Apprentice.


I get it; it’s for effect, but having seen it so many times, and we can thank Mr. Clinton for that, it seems a little bit ridiculous. At this point, when I see a politician doing it, it just reminds me of one of those hammer-looking things that you use to pound meat. (And if we're going to get graphic, the motion is most definitely reminiscent of a little sexual thing called fisting. You're going to have to look that one up on your own.)


Come on – surely someone has come up with a hand motion that has been proven to woo voters or prove a point more effectively than the ‘emphasis fist.’ I’m not even entirely convinced it works. When I see a politician doing that during a speech, I just giggle to myself and images of Bill Clinton saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman!" flash through my mind.

No comments: