Thursday, April 24, 2008

I HATE! People Who Walk Around with Bluetooth Earpieces in Their Ears When They're Not on the Phone




I can't believe I haven't blogged about this yet. I've said this before, but I really mean it this time; people who walk around with bluetooth earpieces in their ears even they're not on the phone may be the thing I hate most in the world. Seriously. I get instantaneously enraged when I catch a glimpse of someone walking around with one of those things in their ears - especially if they're not even using it to talk on the phone. It's pathetic, isn't it?


My theory about the recent emergence and influx of the bluetooth earpiece is that super busy business people started using them while driving, walking, exercising - to make multitasking easier and less dangerous. But then people who aren't super busy and aren't important realized that if they wore the earpiece as well, they would also come across to others as super busy and important.


But what I want to emphasize here is that the earpiece DOESN'T MAKE YOU LOOK IMPORTANT! A middle-aged man wearing an 'I Love NY' tee-shirt and Hawaiian print shorts does not automatically transform into a VIP when he slips on the earpiece. It doesn't work like that. The earpiece doesn't have magical powers.


If you must earpiece and are not, in fact, a business person (I will admit that the earpiece leaves both hands open and available to do other things), take it off of your ear once your finished talking! Don't leave it there! You look foolish!


You're a 25 year old Guido trying to sweet-talk a lady? You look foolish with that thing in your ear! You're a 45 year old soccer mom with 4 kids hanging from each of your limbs? You look idiotic with that earpiece on! Your a 30 year old foreign tourist trying to navigate your way through NYC? Take that thing out of your ear right this minute; you are not fooling anyone into thinking you are some important foreign dignitary!



NO!
I'm not sure what exactly it is about this that makes me crazy, but I almost want to run up to everyone I see wearing a bluetooth earpiece and rip it out of their ear and throw it as far as I can. Maybe it's because, when using the earpiece inappropriately, people are basically trying to masquerade as someone or something that they're not. And that really makes me crazy.



No comments: