Friday, April 4, 2008

I HATE! Gross-Smelling Soap


A few weeks ago, I wandered into the bathroom in my apartment to wash my hands (the likely culprit: Newspaper Hands), and instantly I notice that someone has just purchased a fresh bottle of foaming handsoap - which I LOVE...usually. I am a huge huge fan of foaming handsoap - Dial makes a fantastic version - it smells great and the foaming action has such a pleasant effect on me. Who doesn't like foam? Anyway, this particular bottle looked exactly like the Dial version that I love so much, so naturally, I assumed that it was the Dial, and pumped a generous pile of foam onto my hand.

Unfortunately for me, as I began to wash, I noticed that the soap was generating a very unpleasant odor. I'm talking really smelly. Totally disgusting. It kind of smells like what you are trying to wash OFF your hands after you go to the bathroom. I can't even describe it properly because I would never be able to find the words that would do this smell justice. It was simply foul - not what you want (or expect) your hands to smell like after a good wash.

So after realizing that this was NOT the Dial that I'm so over-the-moon about, I immediately ran to the kitchen sink to try to get rid of the horrible smell that the fake-Dial seemingly implanted into the fiber of my hands with dishwashing liquid. I scrub and scrub, but the smell DOES NOT GO AWAY! No joke! I couldn't believe it. I couldn't get rid of the smell!

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that whichever roommate had made the purchase, bought a Dial knock-off. And boy, was it a knock-off. The only way I managed to free my hands from the pentrating smell of the Dial knock-off was by spraying them thoroughly with perfume. What a waste of Issey Miyake!

Needless to say, I have not washed my hands in that bathroom since; I now prefer the kitchen's dishwashing liquid - afterall, it doesn't smell bad AND it gives my hands a streak-free shine.

This mishap caused many hours of wondering just why anyone would manufacture a soap, a product that's supposed to make your hands clean and smelling good - mind you, that smells bad?!?!? When you wash your hands, the reason to use soap is to rid your hands of the germs and possible odors that you might attract when using the restroom. Yes? SO WHY WOULD ANYONE MANUFACTURE A HANDSOAP THAT SMELLS LIKE WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO WASH AWAY? And why would anyone buy it? Why?

Cleary, this is one of the great mysteries of the world.

No comments: