Thursday, May 8, 2008

I HATE! White People with Dreadlocks


So I can't believe I didn't think about this earlier - I really hate white people who wear their hair in dreads. And I'm going to get right to the point here and not dilly-dally around the root of the issue. Dreads on white people are really gross because the texture of white people's hair makes their hair look dirty more or less after one day of not washing it. That's the reality. The texture just does not accommodate this look. If you're white and you wear dreads, your hair will inevitably look dirty, greasy, and unkempt (I get that that's kind of the intention with dreadlocks, but white people hair looks particuarly bad when left unbrushed for 11 months.)

I, for one, could never wear dreads, even if I wanted to, because (let me give you an example) my hair will be dirty by the time I wake up in the morning even if I've washed it the night before. So just imagine what that would look like a million times over: pretty grim, isn't it? By the time my hair would even form the dreads (if it could even do that is debatable because my hair is so freaking thin), there would most definitely be animals or insects nesting there and/or an oil slick would have developed. It's really an unattractive concept.

And I am all for self-expression, etc., but I also can't help feeling that white people with dreads are trying to present an image of themselves as something that they're not. Disagree if you will, but most of the whities with dreads that I've met have all turned out to be HUGE posers. Maybe it's just those few who sully the good name for the rest of the white-dread-wearers; maybe not, but I am going to stand firm on my belief that white people should stay away from dreads at all cost. There's just something icky about it - both to look at and the general vibe that it gives off.

13 comments:

KGirl said...

Didnt that girl go to our high school?

Haha

Unknown said...

White dreadlocks must be cleaned with soap regularly just like any other hair. So the notion it is dirty is ignorant assumptions.

As far as you and anyone else not liking it, who gives a fuck? People dress how they like, style their hair how they like, etc. No one Cares if other people don't like it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I don't like people that judge others for not having their strands of hair straight, and stuck together instead. What a stupid reason to "hate" somebody. I'm sure you're fun and pleasant to be around. Here's an idea, don't look at them then. Problem solved.

Anonymous said...

Incredibly ignorant. People of all cultures and races (a modern and non-scientific term) have had dreadlocks for millennia.

Florist said...

I regularly wash, and sometimes wax my soft, blond dreadlocks. The author is too quick to judge and I have dreadlocks because I hate hate hate my look with short hair. It looks sooooo dull on me, and screw that. Livening up surroundings by looking different is a fun way to give a little in my conservative community. I'm far too busy to style my hair each morning... Mirror time is not my priority.

Anonymous said...

Don't be too harsh, the author is clearly a teenage troll. We need to show kindness to these racist kids.

Unknown said...

People with dreadlocks wash their hair it seems like you think they just don't wash it in order to form dreadlocks but thats not how its dont. Actually really clean unconditioned hair tangle up and turn to dreads faster than dirty hair will. Also straight hair will dread up just as well as any other hair type all hair tangles therefore all hair can be matted up into dread locks. Not all white people have dirty hair right after washing and for that matter some black people experience that problem too that's specific to each person not to a race. I personally don't have dreadlocks and I wash my hair once or twice a week because it's very long thick and wavy do it's on the dry side if by some strange happening my roots get oily I put in some dry shampoo to take care of it because I don't want to dry out the rest of my "hippie" hair. All these things into account everyone enjoys doing different things with their style and their hair they live with their own choices and make themselves happy just like you do I doubt they care what anyone else thinks about it we should all just let each other enjoy things in life whatever we find interesting enough to experience and leave each other alone about it were all different why can't we all respect the individuality in everyone and know that other people opinions don't control you so why should your opinions and prefrence be directed at trying to control others we can all learn from each other embrace our individuality and have different opinions on what looks right without being unaccepting of other peoples choices. Love and live and respect everyone were all sensitive sometimes we all just want to be accepted for who we are and whatever it is that males us comfortable and happy on pur own skin I wonder what the world would be like if everyone just loved each other and simply laughed shrugged and said well if you like it then go with it when someone else did something that you don't personally think is cool or cute or whatever you're not the one wearing it it doesn't have to make you happy it has to make the wearer happy

Anonymous said...

Sooooo Iam white and have dreads what for horrible person are you. Look first in to the mirror. And btw don't used a picture of someone that love her dreads. Iam a lot more cleaner then you

Unknown said...

Who the hell are you... What a rubbish read. . Who is the person in the picture did you ask or even explain why you wanted to use it .. I think not. Where's your picture? I bet some people would have something to comment on your appearance.. But alot of people don't waste there breath.. Let alone write a blog noones so fair shares your opinion so you may as well delete your article as all you have done is make yourself look like a twit.

Anonymous said...

The author is correct. Dreadlocks on people of African extraction can look regular and tidy. Dreads on Eurasians look an irregular, greasy, frizzy, nasty mess, almost always.

Anonymous said...

good luck combing my hair then

Unknown said...

As a white person with dreadlocks lol I personally really like the vibe they give off because I agree that all white people with dreadlocks kinda look homeless... which was the thing I was kind of going for anyway. Its just a chill hairstyle that you really don't have to do much with and who freaking cares if it looks gross... real people will look past appearances (which don't matter anyway) and if I want to look like a homeless person then that's my problem. Stop bashing people for doing their hair like this. We do whatever we want. get over it.