Thursday, May 29, 2008

I HATE! Unrelenting Boredom Part Deux / Uno Floor Elevator Riders

Sigh. So, this is Day Number of Two of unrelenting boredom. I really have exercised all of my Internet options - once again - and I'm fairly confidant in saying that I'm on top of my work load for the day. This might raise the question: 'If you're so bored, why don't you use the time to blog?' My answer to this is simple: I can only blog when I am inspired to do so i.e when something really gets me heated up to the point where I can essentially feel my blood boiling and am expecting it to burst forth from my body through any open and/or available orifice.

Luckily for you, today, I experienced one such surge of inspiration.

This afternoon, I was hastily riding the elevator (I'm not entirely sure you can ride an elevator hastily) downstairs to the cafeteria. The hour was 2:38 PM; the cafeteria closes daily at 3 PM, however, in typical jumping-the-gun fashion, the cafeteria staff usually begins removing all the food around 2:45 PM. (Now you see why I was trying to ride the elevator hastily.) Since it was a few hours past the usual lunch rush, I was hoping that no one would get on as I was going down. 17, 16, 15, keep going, keep going, 14, 13, almost in the clear, fingers crossed, 12, 11... and then it happens - someone gets on the elevator at the 10th floor... and GETS OFF ON THE 9th FLOOR!?!?!

Is that a joke? Who really takes the elevator one floor AND going down for Pete's sake?? I was so flabbergasted by this person's sheer laziness that I must have been standing there with my mouth hanging open. If I was going down one flight, or even up one flight, for that matter, I would take the stairs. For sure.

Clearly, I was so infuriated because I was rushing downstairs to get food before the cafe closed, but I was under the impression that elevator etiquette was an established code. Fewer than three floors? Take the stairs. More than three floors, by all means, take the elevator! Am I alone in this assumption? Have all those dirty looks I've given to people who took the elevator up or down less then three floors fallen by the wayside? Are others unaware of this code? Did I make this up?

No - I'm right - people are just lazy. And I hate it.

No comments: