Monday, January 12, 2009

I HATE! When Older Women Dress Like Teenagers


This post goes in conjunction with my post about adults wearing clothing adorned with cartoon characters.

We've already established the fact that at a certain age, you inevitably must retire some components of your quickly fleeting youth i.e. belly shirts, low-cut jeans, any article of clothing with a cartoon character emblazoned on it, mini backpacks, platform shoes, cowboy hats, overly-puffy down jackets, anything with fringe on it, etc.
And you'd think this would kind of be common knowledge to the older-set, but you'd really be surprised how many adults think they can get away with acting and dressing like their teenage counterparts. The biggest offenders among this group are older women - specifically the 40 - 65 year-old demographic (and I know that 40 isn't really that old, but let's be honest here, when you're 40, you're no spring chicken).

Case in point: there is a show on a very popular cable network that centers around the work of a high-rolling female matchmaker. She is not completely unfortunate-looking by any means, but I would estimate her age to be somewhere between 40 and 45, and the woman constantly, and I mean constantly, dresses like she's 20 and aging backwards Benjamin Button-style. Short skirts. Tighter-than-is-allowed-by-law-pants. Mini-dresses. Sky-high heels. You get the picture. And like I said, this woman isn't grotesque, but truth be told, she doesn't have the body of the 20-year-old beach volleyball player she is trying to dress like.

And I'm all for women being proud of their bodies etc. etc. , but I just think that women of a certain age should ease gracefully into decorum. You can get away with dressing like a harlot when you're 16, 18, and 23, but at 40 years old, you just look plum-silly trying to rock a leather mini and knee-high boots. I'm even finding that at 23-years-old, I can't get away with wearing what I used to. Let me tell you, my high-school body is NOWHERE to be found and the same goes for the (barely-school-appropriate) corset tops and hip-hugger jeans that were (embarrassingly) once my staple.

Bottom line is this: when you're 40 or 47 or 53 or 61, you really just look ridiculous when you try to pull off clothes made for the Limited-Too clientele. Your teenage years were meant for dressing ridiculously and getting it out of your system. Your high-school style is not meant to transcend into your 40s. And if perhaps I haven't yet hit this point home, please take into account the women on the fabulous show Rock of Love (see photo above) or many of the female guests on Maury. These women, while clearly past their physical primes, are still intent upon resurrecting the clothing of their oh-so-trashy-youth. And while these examples are extreme, I think it makes clear my point.

A little modesty ladies... a little modesty.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

how about mind your own business, and let people dress any way they feel happy, who the heck do you think you are to dictate what a woman can or can not wear? you have no authority because you are not the one paying for their clodes, if you think they look ridiculous, that is your own problem and not theirs, your opinion is irrelevant, you must have no life, if you expend your time looking what other women are wearing and being bitter about it lol

Tatyana El said...

I am 33 years old, and I feel most comfortable in the same type of clothes that I used to wear when I was 15: various tee shirts and tank tops, jeans, and shorts. In colder weather I add Jean or leather jacket.

I dress like this because it is easy and comfortable. I could care less about what people think. What is "age appropriate" anyway? What are our standards of beauty and what is "normal"? Just a bunch of labels and stereotypes. If someone is not comfortable with MY looks, it is THEIR problem.

Unknown said...

Lizz Bannan, nobody give a shit about your opinion! If you hate what other people decide to dress you obviously have a problem, maybe you hate that someone older than you looks better in a dress that you would look horrible.