Friday, December 19, 2008

I HATE! People Who Cover Their Ears in the Subway


Ok - I know I tend to post a lot about the subway and all the annoying things subway riders do, but I have one more subway-related post that I just have to go ahead with.

Have you ever noticed those fucking annoying people who just must cover their ears while they're in the subway and a train goes by? Well, I have, and in case you haven't picked up on it yet, I hate these people!

Look: I'll make this simple. Anyone who knows anything knows that the New York City subway system is loud. That's just a fact. The trains are loud. The trains are old (mostly). The tracks are old. The tunnels are old. And the whole thing is underground (read: enclosed) where sound continually riquochets off the perpetually encroaching tunnel walls. If this isn't a recipe for a ruckus, I don't know what is.

What I'm trying to say here is that if you can't handle the noise, don't take the train... or get some f-ing earplugs. There is no reason to subject the rest of us to how stupid you look when you hold your hands over your ears like a petulant child throwing a tantrum when his mother refuses to buy him ice cream. And, yes, for all of you out there who feel the absolute need to cover your ears when a train passes by, you really DO look stupid. All it is is a little noise - grow a pair! Most of us adults can handle it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ear plugs reduce your awareness of your surroundings. Ear plugs are not a great idea in many situations.
Covering your ears to reduce personal aggravation and potential hearing damage is a better solution. You need to get over it and grow a pair allowing your to tolerate how other people live.
Because someone doesn’t like loud cacophonous should not force them to take other methods of travel.
You are a narrow minded di(k.

But yes, I hate patchouli, too.