Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I HATE! People Who Wear Sunglasses at Night / Inside


New York is filled with people who think they're God's gift to mankind. The city is pretty much the narcissist capital of the world. We have wannabe actresses, wannabe models, wannabe fashionistas, wannabe literary-types... the list goes on. And in a city where the majority of the population is completely self-absorbed, there are bound to be those people floating around who consider themselves to be way more important than they actually are.

And this brings me to my most recent pet peeve - people who wear their sunglasses inside or at night. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't sunglasses usually used to block the harmful rays of the sun from damaging the delicate, yet absolutely essential organ called the eyes? And doesn't the sun usually go down at night - that is why it's called night, right? There is no sun. And no sun means no harmful UV rays. So wouldn't it make logical sense to not wear your sunglasses when there is no sun, and therefore no UV rays? The logic here is flawless. No one can argue with that.

However, on a daily basis, I see New Yorkers walking around at night or inside with sunglasses on! As I have just proved, it doesn't make logical sense to wear your sunglasses at night or inside, but people do it anyway. Why? Because half of New York thinks it's too cool for school and by wearing sunglasses when unnecessary, people seem cool, mysterious, and important. Or at least, they think they seem cool, mysterious, and important. In actuality, they just look idiotic when they parade around in the subway or in Starbucks wearing big dark glasses.

I think that because New York is so celebrity-obsessed (and because there are so many celebrities living here) that the common people come to the conclusion that wearing sunglasses when not appropriate will signal to others that you're some sort of celebrity. Wearing big dark glasses during the night hints that you don't want to be seen or recognized. You're literally hiding your face. And this tactic often works for celebrities, who really don't want to be recognized and draw any attention or a crowd, but for regular folks? It just makes you look like an f-ing douchebag. And don't fool yourself - no one is going to think you're a celebrity because you're wearing sunglasses on the subway when you're A) taking the subway (celebrities don't usually rock out on mass transit and B) you're wearing You're not as important as you think you are. Get over it and take off the f-ing sunglasses.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Old School 62 yr. older here, Liz. And not much of a blogger. But very much enjoyed what you had to say about non-cool schmucks wearing sunglasses inside, at night, and if I can add, on dark rainy gloomy days. I've learned over the years that I believe "cool" is more of an inside deal, and certainly doesn't come out of the pages of People Magazine. Cool is in ones character, and I feel a good part if not all of it comes from being passed down by a cool Mother, or a cool Dad, and even a cool Aunt Vi. And I do believe these non-cool pretending to be somebody, are a lost breed, that may never enjoy life with their true selves. And not just NY mind you. I see them all over the place. So again enjoyed what you wrote. Hope to hear more of you. Not an easy world to to see clearly head on. So saying im no better then, but I still live till I'm in that cold, cold, DARK ground, with common sense and the simple practical road of life.
Couple of others that get to me if I let them. Baseball hats worn backwards, so the visor(sun) takes care of the back of your dumbass head, and everyone wears black, "makes you look thinner". Wrong. Wearing black points you out as a chubby person who thinks wearing black makes you look thinner. And then there's the black everyday head to toe "goth" look. Wonder if these folks live in a black house, and if they do change it up a bit for funerals. So many f#%king colors to pick from. Black when ones mourning maybe. But if one is lucky enough to be alive, COLOR IT UP, DUDE. My what a long strange trip it's been; and it continues. Peace. Be well.
N -

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm guessing your family gene pool is quite murky, and you most likely crawled out of the shallow end? Your ignorance is immense - wide and deep, ( think Marianas trench deep ),and your hubris, unbearable. I, along with my 71 year old mother, and two of my three children must wear sunglasses EVERY time we leave the house, and most especially at night. We also wear our "shades" indoors, and as a result, are forced to constantly fend off nasty, stupid comments from know-it-all, holier-than-thou, sheep shaggers like yourself. Have you unwashed, unlearned imbeciles never heard of disability?

We have a disorder called photophobia, ( google it, you knuckle-dragging swamp minge ). Although the disorder is not entirely genetic, neither is it completely idiopathic. ( Several of my family members have it; some of us are born with it, and some develop it over time. ) *IOW : THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT. There is no cure. It is not only stupid, but viciously cruel to denigrate someone for something they can not help. You, on the other hand, are just thick as a pig shit sandwich, and you CAN do something about that. EDUCATE YOURSELF. Educate yourself so you don't appear so pathetically dumb, and so you don't make life hell for me, and my kind.

FYI : The reason we wear shades indoors is because the lights are still too bright for most of us, also because of the glare. As for wearing shades at night - again - the glare. My best friend has a son with autism; he too wears shades indoors, and at night. ( It's called a "sensory integration disorder". )

If I am an asshole, it's because of the amount of shit you and your kind have heaped upon me and my kind. ( I am in the medical field; I literally save lives on a daily basis, but I have to constantly deal with the petty shit from you ignorant "normies"! It will "turn" anyone eventually. To make matters worse, I have to see the people I love most in the world constantly harassed for something they can't control. ) Learn that people are different, and try to scrape and scrimp a tiny bit of compassion from the depths of your deformed, withered "soul". JFC...